OSX Yosemite and the 8-year-old Bash



OSX Yosemite and the 8-year-old Bash

Over a decade ago, I traded my bag-of-hurt dualboot setup with Windows XP and Linux for something 'better'. I got a nice 12" milk-white iBook G4 with Mac OSX 10.3. It offered me considerably lower performance than my old laptop, but that would be offset by the giant leap in productivity I expected to see from not having to deal with my previous annoyances. Annoyances like all kinds of things in Linux that didn't work properly (Linux on the desktop was pretty crappy back in 2003), or just using Windows in general.

In short, Linux was broken all the time, and Windows didn't offer me the tools and the workflow that I wanted. OSX fixed both. It 'just worked', and gave me all the tools I wanted… and twice the battery life. I just wanted a proper *NIX desktop. All the CLI tools that I need, a nice GUI, and Microsoft Office because I had to.


Read full article from OSX Yosemite and the 8-year-old Bash


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Algorithm (219) Lucene (130) LeetCode (97) Database (36) Data Structure (33) text mining (28) Solr (27) java (27) Mathematical Algorithm (26) Difficult Algorithm (25) Logic Thinking (23) Puzzles (23) Bit Algorithms (22) Math (21) List (20) Dynamic Programming (19) Linux (19) Tree (18) Machine Learning (15) EPI (11) Queue (11) Smart Algorithm (11) Operating System (9) Java Basic (8) Recursive Algorithm (8) Stack (8) Eclipse (7) Scala (7) Tika (7) J2EE (6) Monitoring (6) Trie (6) Concurrency (5) Geometry Algorithm (5) Greedy Algorithm (5) Mahout (5) MySQL (5) xpost (5) C (4) Interview (4) Vi (4) regular expression (4) to-do (4) C++ (3) Chrome (3) Divide and Conquer (3) Graph Algorithm (3) Permutation (3) Powershell (3) Random (3) Segment Tree (3) UIMA (3) Union-Find (3) Video (3) Virtualization (3) Windows (3) XML (3) Advanced Data Structure (2) Android (2) Bash (2) Classic Algorithm (2) Debugging (2) Design Pattern (2) Google (2) Hadoop (2) Java Collections (2) Markov Chains (2) Probabilities (2) Shell (2) Site (2) Web Development (2) Workplace (2) angularjs (2) .Net (1) Amazon Interview (1) Android Studio (1) Array (1) Boilerpipe (1) Book Notes (1) ChromeOS (1) Chromebook (1) Codility (1) Desgin (1) Design (1) Divide and Conqure (1) GAE (1) Google Interview (1) Great Stuff (1) Hash (1) High Tech Companies (1) Improving (1) LifeTips (1) Maven (1) Network (1) Performance (1) Programming (1) Resources (1) Sampling (1) Sed (1) Smart Thinking (1) Sort (1) Spark (1) Stanford NLP (1) System Design (1) Trove (1) VIP (1) tools (1)

Popular Posts